ICOM IC-765 - HF Base Transceiver
Manufactured: Japan, 1989-1994 (Discontinued)
HF base transceiver
RX: 0.1-30.0 MHz
TX: all amateur HF bands
Output power: 100 W (40 W AM)
Modes: CW, SSB, AM, FM
Receiver sensitivity: see the table in the detailed specifications
- Frequency Coverage:
- Receive: 0.10000 ~ 30.00000 MHz
- (guaranteed range 500 kHz ~ 30 MHz)
- 160-m band 1.8 ~ 2.0 MHz
- 80-m band 3.5 ~ 4.0 MHz
- 40-m band 7.0 ~ 7.3 MHz
- 30-m band 10.1 ~ 10.15 MHz
- 20-m band 14.0 ~ 14.35 MHz
- 17-m band 18.068 ~ 18.168 MHz
- 15-m band 21.0 ~ 21.45 MHz
- 12-m band 24.89 ~ 24.99 MHz
- 10-m band 28.0 ~ 29.7 MHz
- Modes: SSB(A3J), CW(A1), AM(A3), FM(F3), RTTY(F1)
- Number of memory channels: 99 plus P1 and P2
- Antenna impedance: 50 ohms (unbalanced)
- Usable Temperature Range: -10°C to +60°C; +14°F to +140°F
- Frequency stability: Less than ±200 Hz from 1 min. to 60 min. after power ON. After that, the rate of stability change is less than ±30 Hz/hr at +25°C; +77°F. Temperature fluctuations (0°C to +50°C; +32°F to +122°F) less than ±350 Hz.
- Power Supply Requirement: 100 ~ 117 V AC (U.S.A. version); 220 ~ 240 V AC (Australia, Europe, France versions)
- Power consumption:
- Transmit: 250 VA (at minimum output); 650 VA (at maximum output)
- Receive: squelched (1.3 VA); at maximum audio output (80 VA)
- Dimensions: 424(W) x 150(H) x 390(D) mm, 16.7(W) x 5.9(H) x 15.4(D) in (projections not included)
- Weight: 17.5 kg; 38.6 lb.
- Output power:
- SSB, CW, FM: 10 to 100 W continuously adjustable
- AM: 10 to 40 W continuously adjustable
- Modulation system:
- SSB: balanced modulation
- AM: low power modulation
- FM: variable reactance frequency modulation
- Maximum frequency deviation: ±5 kHz (FM)
- Spurious emissions: More than 60 dB below peak output power
- Carrier suppression: More than 40 dB below peak output power
- Unwanted sideband: More than 55 dB below peak output power (at 1000 Hz AF input)
- Microphone impedance: 600 ohms
- DTX variable range: ±9.99 kHz
- Receive system: Quadruple-conversion superheterodyne (SSB, CW, AM, RTTY); Triple-conversion superheterodyne (FM)
- Intermediate frequencies:
|Mode ||1st ||2nd ||3rd ||4th
- Sensitivity (preamp ON):
- SSB, CW, RTTY (for 10 dB S/N):
- 0.1 ~ 0.5 MHz Less than 0.7 µV
- 0.5 ~ 1.8 MHz Less than 1.0 µV
- 1.8 ~ 30.0 MHz Less than 0.15 µV
- AM (for 10 dB S/N, narrow filter selected):
- 0.1 ~ 0.5 MHz Less than 4.4 µV
- 0.5 ~ 1.8 MHz Less than 6.3 µV
- 1.6 ~ 30.0 MHz Less than 1.0 µV
- FM (for 12 dB SINAD):
- 28 ~ 30 MHz Less than 0.3 µV
- SSB: More than 2.2 kHz/-6 dB; Less than 4.2 kHz/-60 dB
- CW (narrow), RTTY (narrow): More than 500 kHz/-6 dB; Less than 1 kHz/-60 dB
- AM: More than 6 kHz/-6 dB ; Less than 18 kHz/-50 dB
- FM: More than 15 kHz/-6 dB ; Less than 30 kHz/-50 dB
- Audio output power: More than 2.6 W with an 8 ohm load at 10% distortion
- Audio output impedance: 8 ohms
- RIT variable range: ±9.99 kHz
- Input impedance: 50 ohms unbalanced
- Output matching range (when tuner switch is ON): 16.7 ~150 ohms (unbalanced)
- Waiting time for band changing: Less than 3 seconds
- Auto tuning accuracy: VSWR 1.2:1 or less
- IC-4KL 1 kW HF LINEAR AMPLIFIER: An advanced new all-solid-state amplifier equipped with a fully automatic antenna tuner.
- CR-282 HIGH STABILITY CRYSTAL UNIT: Contains a temperature-compensating oven heater and crystal unit for improved frequency stability. (±100 Hz, -10°C ~ +60°C; -14±F ~ +140±F)
- CT-16 SATELLITE INTERFACE UNIT: Easy tuning for instant satellite communications using an Icom transceiver.
- CT-17 CI-V LEVEL CONVERTER: For remote transceiver control using a personal computer. Equipped with an RS-232C output port.
- EX-627 AUTOMATIC ANTENNA SELECTOR: Allows connection of up to 9 separate antennas to the IC-765. The most suitable antenna is automatically selected from up to 7 antennas when the operating band is changed in the IC-765. Manual selection is also possible.
- FL-53A CW NARROW FILTER (455 kHz, 250 Hz/-6 dB)
- FL-101 CW NARROW FILTER (9.0106 MHz, 250 Hz/-6 dB) These filters have good shape factors and provide you with better CW reception when band conditions are crowded.
- FL-102 AM FILTER (9.0100 MHz, 6 kHz/-6 dB) This filter has good shape factor and provides you with clearer broadcast reception.
- MB-19 RACK MOUNTING HANDLES: Transceiver mounting handles for a 19-inch mounting rack.
- SM-6 DESKTOP MICROPHONE: Easy to use desktop microphone for base station operation.
- SM-8 DESKTOP MICROPHONE: UP/DOWN switches included. Can be connected to 2 Icom transceivers.
- SM-20 DESKTOP MICROPHONE: High-quality microphone with a heavy, stable base. Equipped with a low-frequency cut capability.
- HM-36 HAND MICROPHONE: Includes UP/DOWN switches for scanning.
- SP-20 EXTERNAL SPEAKER WITH AUDIO FILTERS: High performance speaker including 4 audio filters for greater sound quality. Style and size are matched with the IC-765 (8 ohms/5 W)
- UT-30 PROGRAMMABLE TONE ENCODER UNIT: Subaudible tone encoder for accessing a 29 MHz FM repeater. All programmed tones are available.
- UT-36 VOICE SYNTHESIZER UNIT: A clear, electronically generated voice announces the displayed frequency in English or Japanese.
Serial Numbers and Dates
The first Icom advertisements that I've found were in magazines in May 1989. The last major distributor's advertisement was in March 1994. The highest serial number I've heard of is over 5500.
From the serial numbers that have been posted in the Icom reflector, I'd guess that the distribution is about: