ICOM IC-728 - HF Base Transceiver
Manufactured: Japan, 1992-199x (Discontinued)
RX: 30 kHz-30 MHz
TX: all amateur HF bands
Output power: 100 W (40 W AM)
Modes: SSB, CW standard; AM optional, FM optional
Receiver sensitivity (preamp ON):
less than 0.16 µV (SSB, CW for 10 dB S/N), less than 2.0 µV (AM for 10 dB S/N)
less than 0.5 µV (FM for 12 dB SINAD)
- Frequency Coverage:
- Receive: 30 kHz ~ 30 MHz
- guaranteed range 500 kHz ~ 30 MHz
- 1.800 ~ 1.99999 MHz
- 3.500 ~ 4.000 MHz
- 7.000 ~ 7.300 MHz
- 10.100 ~ 10.150 MHz
- 14.000 ~ 14.350 MHz
- 18.068 ~ 18.168 MHz
- 21.000 ~ 21.450 MHz
- 24.890 ~ 24.990 MHz
- 28.000 ~ 29.700 MHz
- Mode: SSB, CW, AM*, FM* (An optional U1-7 AM/FM UNIT is required for AM transmission and FM transmission/reception.)
- Number of memory channels: 26
- Antenna impedance: 50 ohms nominal
- Usable Temperature Range: -10°C to +60°C; +14°F to +140°F
- Frequency stability: Less than ±200 Hz from 1 min. to 60 min. after power ON. After that, the rate of stability change is less than ±30 Hz/hr at +25°C; +77°F. Temperature fluctuations (0°C to +50°C; +32°F to +122°F) less than ±350 Hz.
- Power Supply Requirement: 13.8 V DC ±15%
- Current Drain (at 13.8 V DC):
- Transmit: 20 A
- Receive: squelched =1.3 A; max. audio output =1.6 A
- Dimensions: 241(W) x 94(H) x 239(D) mm, 9.5(W) x 3.7(H) x 9.4(D) in (projections not included)
- Weight: 4.6 kg; 10.1 lb.
- Output power:
- SSB, CW, FM: 10 to 100 W continuously adjustable
- AM: 10 to 40 W continuously adjustable
- Spurious emissions: Less than -50 dB
- Carrier suppression: More than 40 dB
- Unwanted sideband: More than 50 dB
- Microphone impedance: 600 ohms
- Receive system: Triple-conversion superheterodyne
- Sensitivity (preamp ON) (1.8 to 30 MHz):
- SSB, CW - Less than 0.16 µV for 10 dB A/N
- AM - Less than 2.0 µV for 10 dB S/N
- FM - Less than 0.5 µV for 12 dB SINAD
- Intermediate frequencies:
|Mode ||1st ||2nd ||3rd
- SSB, CW - More than 2.1 kHz/-6 dB ; Less than 4.0 kHz/-60 dB
- AM - More than 6.0 kHz/-6 dB ; Less than 20.0 kHz/-40 dB
- FM - More than 12 kHz/-6 dB ; Less than 30 kHz/-50 dB
- Spurious and image rejection ratio: More than 70 dB
- Audio output power: More than 2.6 W with an 8 ohm load
- RIT variable range: ±1.2 kHz
- IC-4KL 1 kW LINEAR AMPLIFIER: All solid state linear amplifier. The amplifier/power supply unit and remote control unit are separated.
- IC-2KL 500 W LINEAR AMPLIFIER: All solid state linear amplifier. The power amplifier unit can be separately set up from the power supply unit.
Automatic Antenna Tuners, Antenna Element and Antenna Selector
- IC-AT500 500 W AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER: Best match for the IC-728 with the IC-2KL. Includes an automatic antenna selector for 4 separate antennas.
- AT-160 100 W AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER: Can be attached to the IC-728 side panel. Power and tuning are controlled through the IC-728.
- AT-150 100 W AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER: Style and size are matched with the IC-728. Includes an automatic antenna selector for 3 separate antennas. Moreover, a long wire antenna can be tuned.
- AH-3 100 W AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER: Matches the IC-728 to a long wire antenna for portable or mobile operation. Matches a more than 12 m long wire to all bands between 1.8 to 30 MHz.
- AH-2b ANTENNA ELEMENT: A 2.5 m long antenna for mobile operation with the AH-3. All bands between 1.8 to 30 MHz can be matched.
- EX-627 AUTOMATIC ANTENNA SELECTOR: Automatically selects the antenna. 9 separate antennas can be connected. Manual selection is also possible. Max input power: 1000 W PEP
DC Power Supplies
- IC-PS15 DC POWER SUPPLY: A power transformer power supply. (13.8 V DC/20 A)
- IC-PS30 DC POWER SUPPLY: A system power supply for the IC-728. 3 extra output connectors are included. (13.8 V DC/25 A)
- PS-55 DC POWER SUPPLY: A power transformer power supply. (13.8 V DC/20 A)
- IC-SP3 EXTERNAL SPEAKER (8 ohms/4 W)
- SP-7 EXTERNAL SPEAKER (8 ohms/5 W)
- SP-20 EXTERNAL SPEAKER: High performance speaker including 4 audio filters and a headphone jack. Can be connected to 2 transceivers.(8 ohms/5 W)
- SM-6 DESKTOP MICROPHONE
- SM-8 DESKTOP MICROPHONE
- SM-20 DESKTOP MICROPHONE
Internal Units and Filters
- UI-7 AM/FM UNIT: Provides AM transmission FM transmission/reception.
- UT-30 PROGRAMMABLE TONE ENCODER UNIT: Provides 38 programmable subaudible tones.
- CR-64 HIGH-STABILITY CRYSTAL UNIT: For improved frequency stability: 0.5 ppm (-30°C to +60°C)
- FL-100/FL-101 CW NARROW FILTERS: Passband width: FL-100 (500 Hz/-6 dB); FL-101 (250 Hz/-6 dB)
- CT-16 SATELLITE INTERFACE UNIT: Easy tuning for instant satellite communications.
- CT-17 CI-V LEVEL CONVERTER: For remote transceiver control using a personal computer. Equipped with an RS-232C output port.
- IC-MB5 MOBILE MOUNTING BRACKET
- MB-23 CARRYING HANDLE
User manual (5.9 MB)