Yaesu FT-817 Improvement of the ALC - better modulation and throughput
The FT-817 is a lovely rig, isn´t it? This is a radio one must have - without special reasons. But anyway, when I got the radio one week ago, I started to test it against excisting others. (like TS-870). Everything was quite okay, but the output in SSB is not reaching the 5W-mark, even when the CW-tone and in FM the rig runs on specified power. I walked through the curcuit-diagram and found the reason. The capacitor C1113 on the mainboard is too small. This has to be changed to bigger values. In my case it´s now 470 uF insted of former 1uF.
To find the place inside the rig .... boy! This took some time. But after locating the place, it´s now easy to descibe:
Open the upper side (where the loudspeaker fits) and locate the red jack on the rear side. Inside a flatband-cable comes up and is connected. Right beside this cable you find C1113, but it´s not labeled. But anyhow, look for the pictures taken and I´m sure you find the place. The new C is visible in the lower right corner of the picture (big and black) I removed the original C from the board before - but it´s still not necessary.
After finalizing, close the rig and test the output in SSB in comparison to FM and CW. The throughput is now there. And believe me, you get better voicereports. And running qrp - it´s sometimes the needed peace of junk !