Kenwood TS-950SD Two second TX power delay with MONI on
Author: Trio-Kenwood Communication, inc.
Service Bulletin no. 964 (22-1-1990)
When the MONI switch is turned on, transmit power may not develop for two seconds after key down. During this time, the ALC meter will pin and the SWR meter will read high. This will more likely develop on 18 MHz and 21 MHz bands. The following modification will correct this condition.
Note: This modification has already been performed on model from serial number 0120441.
2.2 Kohm chip resistor (RK73FB2A222J)
- Disconnect the power cord and antenna.
- Remove the top and bottom covers (18 screws).
- Locate the RF unit on the bottom of the transceiver. This is the back left board of the four boards on the bottom of the transceiver.
- Remove the RF board shield plate (4 screws).
- Remove the 3 remaining screws from the RF board.
- Remove the black screw that secures the DRIVE OUT/RX ANT IN jack to the back panel.
- Disconnect the right hand coax cables from the RF board and unplug connector #2.
- Slide the RF board forward and then rotate it towards the front of the transceiver to expose the foil side of the board.
- Locate chip resistor R135 as shown in figure 1.
- Replace R135 with a 2.2 Kohm chip resistor.
- Assemble the transceiver by reversing steps 1 - 8.
Time required to perform the modification is 1 hour or less. This modification is covered under the 1 year warranty.