ICOM IC-706MKIIG AM Receive Modification
This mod requires you work with surface mount parts.
It would help to have a service manual for this radio to find the location of these parts.
You need the ICOM Filter # FL-102. Use an ISO-TIP soldering iron or a soldering iron that is ESD proof and grounded.
- Be sure to mark all the cables.
- Remove the main board from the radio (the board with the IF filter).
- Flip board over and locate Q2224 and Q2222.
- Lift pin 4+5 on Q2224. (See Alternative Method Below)
- Lift pin 4 of Q2222. (See Alternative Method Below)
- Attach a wire from pin 4 of Q2222 (The transistor itself- not the PCB), to pad #4 of Q2224 (PCB).
- Insulate the transistor leg Q2222 from board.
- Install filter in the slot farthest from the original filter (OPTION FILTER -2)
- Put board back in radio, making sure all the cables are properly seated.
- You do not need to adjust the menus or set any thing different.
- You will still have narrow AM if you want it by pushing the narrow filter button on the front panel.
It is very easy to damage the transistors trying to lift them !
An alternative is to cut a couple traces and solder to the transistor (Q2222) and to the PCB on a through hole pad. BE VERY CARFULL WHEN CUTTING TRACES AND SCRAPING THE COATING OFF THE BOARD !
Use a very small flat blade screwdriver to scrape the coating from the through hole in the pc board. Doing it this way seems easier and the chances of damaging any components are lowered. Scraping the cut traces and soldering a tiny wire to reconnect them and removing the jumper can also easily reverse it.